Bioinformatics Scientist specializing in Microbiome
Vivante Health (https://vivantehealth.com) is an innovative digital healthcare company that helps our members manage chronic conditions, starting with digestive disease. We strive to develop features that can help manage healthy habits and empower our users through education and visualization. Our market is in the vast US market of employers and health plans with a market size of more than 70M.
Analyzing metagenomic data from bacterial communities, including assessing and developing pipelines and computational approaches suited for our data. The ability to collaborate and assess current methods and provide suggestions for accurate but innovative techniques with intellectual and technical rigor will be crucial.
Where you’d fit in:
- Coordinate metagenomic analysis and processing
- Map reads to bacterial genome sequences to determine the composition of sample aliquots.
- Develop tools for aggregating data and visualization
- Improve or develop new computational pipelines for increasing the accuracy of read mapping and taxonomy identification in sampled microbial communities
- Develop statistically sound approaches to analyzing large sets of metagenomic data and metadata gathered from our digital application and device. (Not so basic we know. This is an ongoing team effort that you would be an incremental part of!)
- Proactively offer creative solutions and new computational strategies to help achieve company goals for innovative display and analysis of data with the end goal to help reach and empower our members.
What you’ll need:
- Ability to collaborate and flexibility to work closely with a team of various skill sets and expertise
- Master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Genomics, or a related field, with at least 2 years of hands-on experience with Bioinformatics methods in relation to the microbiome
- Proficient in Python or R
- Experience building and manipulating databases
- Should have some knowledge or acute knowledge of microbiome literature particularly in the context of microbiome and therapeutic approaches
- Ability to prioritize and deliver results with a strong emphasis on accountability, quality, documentation, technical rigor, attention to detail and timely delivery
In our ideal world, you’d also have one or more of these:
- A Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, or a related field
- Demonstrated experience in machine learning, algorithm development and testing
- Familiarity with NGS algorithms (e.g., Bowtie, SAMtools)
- Significant experience in algorithm/pipeline development and pipelines implementation for NGS data analysis
Our side of the bargain:
- Flexible working hours
- A culture that promotes education and on-going learning in related areas
- A startup environment with the freedom to experiment and a blameless culture that understands the value in trial and error
- Negotiable salary depending on skills, up to 50k
- Stock options and health benefits
Our offices are located in Syntagma, Athens.