KIOS RESEARCH AND INNOVATION CENTER OF EXCELLENCE Research and Innovation
Title : Research Associate, Post-Doctoral Researcher
No. of Positions : Ten (10)
Category : Employment contract
Location : University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus.
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (www.kios.ucy.ac.cy) at the University of Cyprus announces ten (10) research positions, for full-time employment. The successful candidates will conduct research under multiple KIOS projects funded by the European Union, including the flagship KIOS CoE Teaming project, as well as national or industry-funded projects.
The required skills and expertise for the announced positions include one or more of the following areas:
- Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructure Systems including Power Systems, Smart Water Networks, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Telecommunication Networks and Smart Buildings (4 positions)
- Autonomous Multi-Agent Systems, Unmanned Air and Terrestrial Vehicles, Emergency Response Technologies (1 Position)
- Cyber-Physical Security, Dependability and Fault-Diagnosis (2 Position)
- Machine Learning, Optimization, Intelligent Control, (2 Positions)
- Embedded and Real-Time Systems, Edge Computing, IoT Technologies (1 Position) University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus was officially founded in 1989 and started operating in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, in 1992. Within a short time, the University of Cyprus managed to achieve international recognition through an impressive course of development. Today, it is ranked 67th young university (under 50 years) and #251-300 worldwide in Engineering and Technology by the Times New Higher Education Rankings.
These great distinctions are the result of our dedication to excellence and continuous development. The University of Cyprus managed to stand out and receive awards for the new paths it has opened up in particularly demanding and dynamic contexts of research. The University of Cyprus becomes better every year; therefore, it wishes to attract the best employees.
To this end, the University constantly develops its programs of study and recruits high-caliber staff who will contribute significantly to the design of new curricula, both at undergraduate and graduate level. One of the strategic aims of the University of Cyprus is the further promotion and development of research, in which new staff are expected to play an essential role.
KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence (KIOS CoE)
The KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence is the largest research center at the University of Cyprus and has recently been upgraded to a European Research Center of Excellence through the KIOS CoE Teaming project. Currently, the Center employs more than 130 researchers (at various ranks/levels), who are supported by externally funded research projects.
KIOS provides an inspiring environment for carrying out top level research in the area of Information and Communication Technologies with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructures including power and energy systems, water networks, transportation networks, telecommunication networks and emergency management and response. The Center instigates interdisciplinary interaction and promotes collaboration between industry, academia and research organizations in high-tech areas of global importance. The KIOS CoE operates in a diverse environment as an equal opportunities’ employer.
Short Description – Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible to conduct fundamental and/or applied research and/or engage in innovation and entrepreneurship activities in the area of Information and Communication Technologies, with emphasis on the Monitoring, Control, Security of Critical Infrastructure Systems. Depending on their qualifications and expertise, successful candidates will be responsible to prepare reports and project deliverables, contribute to the preparation of research proposals, and assist in the supervision of undergraduate students. Furthermore, successful candidates will be encouraged to publish their research results in international conferences and journals.
Profile of the ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate must be able to work independently and/or in a team in fundamental and/or applied research, typically in the context of research and/or innovation projects. The ideal candidate must be able to produce, publish, and present research results in high quality conferences and journals and/or engage in innovation activities and transfer of knowledge, be able to prepare reports and project deliverables for KIOS CoE project(s), attend academic and/or other conferences and seminars for further personal and professional development, assist in the preparation of research and/or innovation proposals, present periodically to KIOS personnel the progress of their research, and assist in the training, education, and dissemination activities of the KIOS CoE.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or/and Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or Computer Science or a related field from an accredited institution
- Doctorate degree or equivalent in the subject areas directly related to Information and Communication Technologies or Engineering and Technology or Natural, Applied and Social sciences.
The position is on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered but this is renewable based on performance. The gross monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and expertise and will be between €1900 – €3100. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated in the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online through the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment.
- Cover letter that specifies their employment availability date as well as the research area that they apply to (a candidate may apply in more than one area)
- Short description of their academic and research experiences (can be combined with the cover letter) (1-page maximum)
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English or in Greek
- Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s)
- At least two reference letters, uploaded directly from the referees
The applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but not later than Friday, 13th of November 2020, at 5 pm. The evaluation of the applications will begin immediately. For more information, please contact the KIOS Center of Excellence, by phone at +357 22893460 or via e- mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .