Traineeships in Information Systems
Type of contract: Traineeship of between 3 and 12 months in total
Who can apply: EU nationals eligible for our traineeship programme (read more)
Working time: Full-time
Place of work: Frankfurt, Germany
Closing date for applications: Monday, 12 November 2018
You are an outstanding and highly motivated graduate. We want the drive, unique insights and new ideas you can bring to an institution which has a significant impact on the lives of the people of Europe. In the Directorate General Information Systems we provide the European Central Bank (ECB) with the technology it needs to carry out its tasks of keeping prices stable and safeguarding the financial system.
Our traineeship programme gives you:
- a chance to immerse yourself in the technical and governance areas of the ECB and gain first-hand experience of working for an IT department delivering high-quality services and projects;
- individualised assignments that take your development needs into account;
- challenging tasks in which you can hone your analytical, technical and business skills;
- mentors and leaders willing to share their experience with you;
- an opportunity to meet people joining us from all over Europe to work in the dynamic, international and multicultural environment of the ECB.
To further enhance the diversity of our team, we particularly encourage applications from female candidates.
Based on your interests and skillset, you will be matched to a pathway for your traineeship in one of these IT areas:
- application development and service management;
- architecture and innovation;
Typical assignments and topics cover:
- big data and business intelligence;
- digital transformation;
- IT enterprise architecture;
- IT sourcing;
- service monitoring, reporting and service optimisation.
The training programme also offers the possibility to attend targeted courses and interactive information sessions designed to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the role of the ECB.
Qualifications, experience and skills
As a minimum, you need a completed bachelor’s degree in (computer) science. Graduates with academic qualifications in non-science subjects but with a curriculum including electives in science and technology may also apply.
You ideally have knowledge of one or more of the following areas:
- information technology architecture: software architecture and software security principles, platform technologies and operating systems (Sun-Solaris/Unix/Linux and/or Microsoft Windows), system integration and architecture, and modelling tools, techniques and methodologies (e.g. ARIS, UML, ArchiMate, TOGAF);
- databases and applications: data administration, database management, data models, business intelligence, data protection, data warehousing, data modelling and analysis of unstructured data (including big data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark), and statistical or mathematical software packages, with related computer programming (i.e. Access, Stata, MATLAB, EViews, R, SAS, VBA or equivalent) and/or relational databases (Oracle, DB2, MySQL or equivalent);
- networks, telecommunications, and wireless and mobility: foundation of networking, internet services, common mobile technologies, mobile communications technologies, mobile operating systems, data storage systems, network and communication security, and enterprise monitoring tools;
- governance and business administration: project and service management methodology (e.g. PM2, ITIL), IT strategy, IT organisational structure, business and/or process analysis, systems sourcing and installation, testing methodologies, audit and communication;
- risk management, security and information assurance: security management, data accessibility, identity and access management, data integrity, data protection, classifications, threats, and information security risk management methods.
- You have an advanced command of English and an intermediate command of at least one other official language of the EU.
- You are enthusiastic about the mission of the ECB. You are a team player and receptive to others’ views. You have a strong work ethic and the awareness required to work in a multicultural environment.
- You bring a high level of analytical skills and the ability to work with tools and data sources, and you learn quickly.
- You are self-motivated, pursue projects and tasks with energy and drive, and possess good problem-solving abilities and a genuine interest in improvements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an online interview via WebEx.
Application and selection process
For further information on how to join us, read more.